April 6, 2020
Division and Institute Support of Essential Research
Changes and Reminders
- Although US Mail is suspended, Joe Drew arranged to have CCE mail delivered each Monday. The stockroom staff will distribute to mailboxes. Package receipts will be coordinated with recipients.
- Due to volume, Airgas deliveries will be made once per week. This replaces the current twice per week schedule.
- Safer-At-Home Reminder: This is a reminder that Caltech is still following the guidance from the state of California's Safer-At-Home order. This means that the following guidelines are in effect.
people over the age of 65 and those with chronic health conditions to remain at
to campus unless they have responsibilities approved as essential by the laboratory
PI in collaboration with their division chair.
individuals conducting approved essential research, research preservation functions
and equipment maintenance. Essential Personnel were identified by Faculty PI's and
received an Essential personnel letter. No other staff, postdocs or students should be
on campus or working in a research lab.
Continuing Essential Research Support:
- Mail delivery to campus remains suspended. Mail can be picked-up at Post Office (weekdays 10am-2pm) or arrangements can be made for essential needs. Rebecca Fox can help coordinate.
- Routine dry ice delivery remains: Joe is coordinating with a couple of faculty on a work-around. Please contact Joe Drew if you have urgent needs or concerns.
- New guest and volunteer appointments remain suspended: Exceptions need to be approved by the Chair.
- There continues to be no planned disruption of on campus utilities, and the Institute is not experiencing shortages obtaining gas cylinders.
- The CCE stockroom remains open with reduced staffing levels. There is no disruption in the delivery of packages.
- There is no disruption of orders of dewars and cylinders. Essential staff are coordinating with the Division for deliveries.
- Essential personnel access continues. Essential Personnel letters have been issued. If letters were not received, please contact Kerry Gomez and Liz Callihan.
- The Glass and Machine Shop remain closed.
- The EPR, NMR, Solid State NMR and Mass Spec facilities remain closed.
- PPE Donations: On behalf of the Infectious Diseases Task Group (IDTG) and the teams that are working together to procure, maintain, and utilize PPE and cleaning supplies to protect the health and safety of our students and essential staff who remain on campus, please defer any planned donations of such items to hospitals or other non-Caltech entities until the extent of the on-campus need is determined. This will be particularly important in the event that we need to isolate, quarantine, or transport potentially infected individuals. Our teams will continue to project the need and availability of such supplies.
- We continue to have minimal on-site administrative staff working alternating four hour shifts.
- Some limited availability or delay for PPE and cleaning supplies.
- Facilities stockroom has suspended delivery of hand sanitizer and is experiencing some limited availability or delay for other cleaning supplies.
Reminders for Maintaining a Safe Environment
- When lab spaces are not occupied, we recommend lights be turned off and the doors to labs and offices be locked.
- In addition to security, Joe and Liz continue to walk buildings each day to make sure labs are secure. We are reporting concerns directly to faculty.