Head TA (Lecturer) in Chemistry
The Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) invites applications for a position as Head TA (Lecturer) in Chemistry, beginning in October 2022. Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do.
Under the supervision of the course professors, the Head TA in Chemistry will provide instructional support for all sections of General Chemistry (1A and 1B). The Head TA will supervise and coordinate all Teaching Assistants for the course. This is a six-month teaching position that will last for a period of time spanning the fall and winter academic terms (October 1st, 2022-March 31st, 2023), renewable each academic year.
Essential Job Duties
- Attends the Chemistry 1 course sections and provides educational feedback to all Chemistry 1 teaching assistants
- Coordinates creation of new homework assignments and solutions, including grading rubrics
- Coordinates creation of exams and quizzes, providing solutions with criteria for grading
- Organizes and disseminates course materials for recitation teaching assistants
- Facilitates resolution of student issues related to Chemistry 1
- Coordinates rooms for recitations, review sessions and schedule changes
- Maintains course materials using a learning management system (Canvas)
- Photocopies exams, quizzes, and other instructional materials
- Prior to lectures, sets-up audiovisual equipment in classroom
- Coordinates grading of exams and quizzes
- Submit midterm and final grades, including shadow grades, for all students
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Masters' degree in a related discipline
- Experience as an undergraduate teaching assistant
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- A high level of initiative
- Ability to manage multiple deliverables and meet deadlines
- PhD in Chemistry or a related field
- Cover Letter
- 3-5 References
Applications are reviewed as they are received. Please submit the required documents to Raul Elizarraras (email@example.com). Questions about the application process may also be directed to Raul Elizarraras.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Click here to read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO).
Caltech is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical or mental disabilities. To request disability accommodations for any part of the interview or hiring process, please contact 626-395-6025 for assistance or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Caltech has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy effective October 15, 2021, requiring COVID-19 vaccinations for all employees (with Institute-approved exemptions for religious or medical contraindications only). At present, an individual is deemed "fully vaccinated" when that person has received, at least 14 days prior, either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series (e.g., Pfizer or Moderna) or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine (e.g., Johnson & Johnson). Upon eligibility, employees are required to receive the COVID-19 booster as part of the vaccine mandate. As a condition of employment, employees must submit official COVID-19 vaccine documentation. More information may be found here.